Conjunctions for Kids: English Grammar Practice | Ages 7–12

Best English Grammar Practice for Conjunctions for Kids Ages 7–9 and 10–12

Learning English grammar becomes easier for children when grammar rules are explained with simple examples and followed by regular practice. Conjunctions are an important part of English grammar because they help children connect words, phrases, and sentences.

Words such as and, but, or, because, so, if, when, while, although, and before are commonly used in everyday English. Learning how to use these words correctly can help children make their speaking and writing clearer and more interesting.

For children aged 7–9 and 10–12, conjunctions can be introduced gradually through examples, sentence-building activities, worksheets, reading, and writing practice.

In this guide, we will look at some of the most common conjunctions for kids, understand how they are used, and finish with a practice exercise with answers.

What Is a Conjunction?

A conjunction is a word that connects words, phrases, or sentences.

For example:

  • I like apples and bananas.

  • I wanted to play, but it was raining.

  • You can have tea or juice.

  • I stayed home because I was tired.

Conjunctions help us join ideas and avoid writing many short sentences.

For younger children, conjunctions can first be taught through simple sentences. Older children can gradually learn how conjunctions can connect more detailed and complex ideas.

Most Common Conjunctions for Kids

1. And

And is used to join similar or related ideas, people, things, or actions.

Examples:

  • Tom and Sam are brothers.

  • I like apples and oranges.

  • She opened the book and started reading.

  • We played football and cricket.

A simple way to remember and is:

And = adds another idea.

2. But

But is used to connect two ideas that are different or opposite.

Examples:

  • I wanted to go outside, but it was raining.

  • She is young, but she is very responsible.

  • The test was difficult, but I finished it.

  • He likes football, but his brother likes tennis.

Remember:

But = shows a difference or contrast.

3. Or

Or is generally used when there is a choice between two or more possibilities.

Examples:

  • Would you like tea or juice?

  • You can read a book or play a game.

  • Do you want the red pencil or the blue one?

  • We can go today or tomorrow.

Remember:

Or = gives a choice.

4. Because

Because explains a reason.

Examples:

  • I stayed home because I was sick.

  • She was happy because she won the competition.

  • We were late because the bus was delayed.

  • He studied hard because he wanted good marks.

Remember:

Because = gives a reason.

5. So

So can be used to show a result.

Examples:

  • It was raining, so we stayed inside.

  • I was hungry, so I made a sandwich.

  • She studied hard, so she passed the test.

  • The shop was closed, so we went home.

Remember:

So = shows a result.

6. If

If is used to talk about a condition.

Examples:

  • If you study, you can improve.

  • If it rains, we will stay home.

  • If you are hungry, you can have a snack.

  • If you finish your homework, you can play.

Remember:

If = introduces a condition.

7. When

When is used to talk about the time something happens.

Examples:

  • Call me when you arrive.

  • I smile when I see my friends.

  • When the bell rang, the students left.

  • We will eat when Dad comes home.

Remember:

When = tells us about time.

8. Before

Before tells us that one action happens earlier than another.

Examples:

  • Wash your hands before dinner.

  • Finish your homework before you play.

  • Brush your teeth before you go to bed.

  • I packed my bag before I went to school.

Remember:

Before = earlier than something else.

9. After

After tells us that one action happens later than another.

Examples:

  • We played outside after lunch.

  • I watched television after finishing my homework.

  • She called me after school.

  • We went home after the movie ended.

Remember:

After = later than something else.

10. Although

Although introduces an idea that contrasts with another idea. It is especially useful for older children aged 10–12.

Examples:

  • Although it was raining, we went outside.

  • Although the test was difficult, she completed it.

  • Although he was tired, he finished his homework.

  • Although she is young, she is very responsible.

For younger learners, but is usually easier to understand first. Older children can gradually learn how although works in longer sentences.

Why Are Conjunctions Important?

Conjunctions help children connect their ideas.

Without conjunctions, a child might write:

I was hungry. I made a sandwich. I ate it.

With conjunctions, the ideas can be connected:

I was hungry, so I made a sandwich and ate it.

Learning conjunctions can therefore help children improve their:

  • Sentence structure

  • Writing skills

  • Reading comprehension

  • Speaking skills

  • Vocabulary use

  • Ability to express ideas

  • Understanding of relationships between ideas

Conjunction Practice for Kids

For children aged 7–9, begin with common conjunctions such as and, but, or, because, and so.

For children aged 10–12, gradually introduce conjunctions such as if, when, before, after, although, and while.

Children should not only memorise conjunctions. They should practise using them in their own sentences.

20-Question Conjunction Exercise

Choose the correct conjunction to complete each sentence.

1.

I like apples ______ bananas.

a) and
b) but
c) because

2.

I wanted to play outside, ______ it was raining.

a) and
b) but
c) or

3.

Would you like milk ______ juice?

a) because
b) or
c) so

4.

She stayed home ______ she was feeling sick.

a) because
b) but
c) or

5.

It was cold, ______ I wore a jacket.

a) so
b) but
c) or

6.

______ you study regularly, you can improve your English.

a) If
b) And
c) But

7.

Call me ______ you reach home.

a) when
b) but
c) or

8.

Brush your teeth ______ you go to bed.

a) before
b) and
c) because

9.

We went outside ______ the rain stopped.

a) after
b) but
c) or

10.

______ she was tired, she finished her homework.

a) Although
b) And
c) Or

11.

Tom ______ Harry are playing football.

a) and
b) because
c) although

12.

I was hungry, ______ I ate a sandwich.

a) so
b) but
c) or

13.

You can read a book ______ watch television.

a) or
b) because
c) although

14.

We stayed inside ______ it was raining.

a) because
b) and
c) or

15.

I will help you ______ you need me.

a) if
b) but
c) after

16.

We will start eating ______ everyone arrives.

a) when
b) but
c) or

17.

She finished her homework ______ she went out to play.

a) before
b) because
c) although

18.

He went to bed ______ he finished reading his book.

a) after
b) but
c) or

19.

______ the task was difficult, the students completed it.

a) Although
b) And
c) So

20.

I wanted to buy the toy, ______ I did not have enough money.

a) but
b) because
c) and

Answers to the Conjunction Exercise

  1. and

  2. but

  3. or

  4. because

  5. so

  6. if

  7. when

  8. before

  9. after

  10. although

  11. and

  12. so

  13. or

  14. because

  15. if

  16. when

  17. before

  18. after

  19. although

  20. but

Parents and teachers can make the exercise more useful by asking children to explain why they selected each conjunction.

Fun Conjunction Activities for Kids

Grammar practice does not always have to feel like traditional homework. Conjunctions can be practised through simple games and everyday conversations.

1. Join the Sentences

Give children two short sentences and ask them to join them using a suitable conjunction.

For example:

I was tired. I went to bed.

Answer:

I was tired, so I went to bed.

Older children can be given more challenging sentence pairs.

2. Conjunction Hunt

Ask children to find conjunctions while reading a storybook.

They can write down:

  • The conjunction

  • The sentence containing it

  • The relationship between the two ideas

This activity connects grammar with reading practice.

3. Daily Conversation Practice

Parents can ask children questions that naturally encourage conjunctions.

For example:

  • What do you do before school?

  • What do you do after dinner?

  • What do you like to eat and drink?

  • What do you do if it rains?

  • What makes you happy because...?

This helps children use grammar naturally rather than simply memorising rules.

4. Story Building Game

One person starts a story with a simple sentence.

For example:

I went to the park and...

The child continues the story using another conjunction.

The story can gradually become longer:

I went to the park and I met my friend, but it started raining, so we went home.

This is particularly useful for children aged 10–12 because it combines grammar, creativity, vocabulary, and writing skills.

Conjunctions for Different Age Groups

Children aged 7–9 generally benefit from short explanations, familiar vocabulary, simple sentences, repetition, and activities.

Start with:

  • And

  • But

  • Or

  • Because

  • So

Once children become comfortable with these words, introduce additional conjunctions.

Children aged 10–12 can gradually work with longer sentences and more advanced conjunctions such as:

  • If

  • When

  • Before

  • After

  • Although

  • While

They can also practise writing paragraphs that use several different conjunctions.

The goal is to help children move from recognising conjunctions to using them independently in their own writing.

Building Strong English Grammar Skills

Conjunctions are only one part of English grammar. Children should gradually develop their understanding of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, punctuation, sentence structure, vocabulary, conjunctions, and reading comprehension.

Regular practice is often more useful than trying to learn many grammar rules in one sitting.

Parents can set aside 10–15 minutes a day for grammar practice. One day could focus on conjunctions, another on verbs, another on sentence construction, and another on reading comprehension.

Children should also be encouraged to use newly learned grammar in their own speaking and writing. This helps them move beyond simply selecting the correct answer in a worksheet.

Grammar Practice Books for Kids

With a combination of grammar worksheets, reading, conversation, games, writing practice, and structured grammar books, children can gradually develop stronger English skills that support them throughout their school years.Grammar Practice Book for Kids

Parents looking for additional structured English grammar practice can also explore this grammar practice book for children. It can be used alongside grammar exercises, reading, writing, and everyday English activities.

Explore the English Grammar Practice Book on Amazon

Regular practice with age-appropriate grammar exercises can help children strengthen their understanding of sentence structure and use grammar more confidently in their own writing.Parents looking for structured English grammar practice can use age-appropriate grammar workbooks alongside reading, writing, speaking, and everyday English activities.

The Grammar in Steps approach can be particularly useful because grammar can be introduced progressively, with children moving from simple concepts and sentences towards more advanced grammar practice.

The accompanying prepositions resource follows the same age-group approach, using explanations, examples, exercises, answers, and activities for children aged 7–9 and 10–12.

Final Thoughts

Conjunctions are small words, but they play an important role in helping children communicate clearly. Words such as and, but, or, because, so, if, when, before, after, and although allow children to connect ideas and create stronger sentences.

For children aged 7–9, begin with simple conjunctions and familiar examples. For children aged 10–12, gradually introduce more complex conjunctions and encourage children to use them in paragraphs and creative writing.

The key to successful English grammar learning is consistent, age-appropriate, and meaningful practice.

Whether children are learning English at school, practising at home, homeschooling, or developing English as an additional language, regular grammar activities can help build confidence.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IELTS Writing Essays 2026 | 10 Latest Task 2 Topics & Sample Answer

IELTS GT Reading Vocabulary 2025 | Top 100 High-Frequency Words & Meanings

20 Latest PTE Academic Essay Topics for 2026 | Updated List