CELPIP Speaking Dealing with a Difficult Situation: Tips, Sample Answer & Practice Question
CELPIP Speaking Dealing with a Difficult Situation: Tips, Strategies, Sample Answer & Practice Question
If you're preparing for the CELPIP General Test in Canada, Speaking Task: Dealing with a Difficult Situation is one of the most important speaking questions to master. Many candidates struggle because they run out of ideas, become repetitive, or fail to organize their response within the allotted time.
The good news is that this task follows a clear pattern. Once you learn how to generate ideas, structure your answer, and use natural English expressions, you can score CELPIP Level 9 or higher.
In this complete 2026 guide, you'll learn:
What CELPIP Speaking: Dealing with a Difficult Situation is.
How to generate ideas quickly.
A simple structure to begin and end your response.
Vocabulary and sentence starters for high scores.
One full-length solved sample answer.
One practice question to try yourself.
The best CELPIP books available in Canada on Amazon.ca.
This guide is especially helpful for students preparing for Canadian PR, citizenship, and immigration through the CELPIP General Test.
What is CELPIP Speaking: Dealing with a Difficult Situation?
In this task, you are given a situation where you must respond to someone during a difficult or uncomfortable circumstance. The situation usually involves solving a problem politely and confidently.
Examples include:
Your neighbour is making too much noise.
Your roommate damaged your belongings.
Your friend forgot an important commitment.
A restaurant served the wrong food.
A colleague isn't completing their work.
Your goal is not just to complain. Instead, you must explain the situation, express your feelings, offer solutions, and end the conversation positively.
CELPIP Speaking Format for This Task
Preparation Time | 30 seconds |
Speaking Time | 60–90 seconds |
Goal | Handle a difficult situation politely and effectively. |
The examiner evaluates:
Content
Vocabulary
Grammar
Organization
Fluency
Pronunciation
How to Generate Ideas in 30 Seconds
Many students panic because they think they need a perfect idea. You don't.
Instead, answer these four questions during preparation.
Question | Purpose |
| What happened? | Briefly explain the problem. |
| How do you feel? | Express emotions politely. |
| What solution do you want? | Offer one or two practical solutions. |
| How will you end it? | Finish positively and respectfully. |
This technique helps you organize your answer naturally.
Example Brainstorm
Situation: Your neighbour plays loud music every night.
Preparation Notes:
Loud music after 11 PM.
Can't sleep.
Ask politely to reduce volume.
Suggest headphones or lower volume.
Thank them for understanding.
That's enough to speak for over one minute.
Best Structure for CELPIP Speaking Dealing with a Difficult Situation
Follow this 4-Step Formula.
Step 1: Start Politely (10–15 seconds)
Introduce yourself and mention the issue politely.
Useful sentence starters:
Hi, I hope you're doing well.
I wanted to talk to you about something important.
I appreciate your time, but I'd like to discuss a small issue.
I'm sorry to bother you, but I need your help.
This immediately creates a friendly tone.
Step 2: Explain the Problem Clearly
Describe:
What happened.
Why it is affecting you.
Give one or two details.
Example phrases:
For the past few days...
I've noticed that...
Unfortunately...
It's becoming difficult because...
Keep your explanation realistic.
Step 3: Offer a Solution
This is where many candidates lose marks.
Don't only complain.
Say:
Would it be possible to...
Maybe we could...
I think a simple solution would be...
I would really appreciate it if...
Offering solutions shows communication skills.
Step 4: End Positively
Always finish politely.
Examples:
Thank you for understanding.
I hope we can solve this together.
I appreciate your cooperation.
I'm sure we can find a solution.
A positive ending improves organization.
Tips to Score CELPIP Level 9+
1. Stay Polite Throughout
Even if the situation is frustrating, avoid sounding aggressive.
Instead of:
You're always making noise.
Say:
I've noticed there's been quite a bit of noise recently.
2. Use Personal Feelings
Include emotions naturally.
Examples:
I'm feeling stressed.
I'm worried.
I'm disappointed.
I'm concerned.
3. Give Reasons
Explain why the situation matters.
I have an early morning shift.
I need to study for an exam.
My child is sleeping.
I work from home.
4. Suggest More Than One Solution
Example:
Reduce the volume.
Use headphones.
Keep music lower after 10 PM.
5. Avoid Memorized Answers
Change details according to the question.
Natural responses score better.
Useful Vocabulary for Difficult Situation Questions
Situation Vocabulary | Solution Vocabulary |
| Concerned | I would appreciate it if... |
| Inconvenient | Would it be possible...? |
| Frustrating | Maybe we could... |
| Disappointed | I suggest that... |
| Respectfully | Let's work together. |
Using varied vocabulary improves lexical resource.
Full-Length CELPIP Speaking Sample Answer
Question
Your roommate keeps inviting friends late at night. The noise makes it difficult for you to sleep because you have an early morning job. Speak to your roommate and resolve the situation.
Sample Answer (Level 9 Style)
Hi Alex, I hope you're doing well. I wanted to talk to you about something that's been bothering me recently. I really enjoy living with you, and we've always had a good relationship, so I thought it would be best to discuss this politely.
Over the last week, I've noticed that you've been inviting your friends over quite late in the evening. Usually everyone stays until midnight or even later, and there's a lot of talking and laughter in the living room. Unfortunately, my bedroom is close to that area, so it's becoming difficult for me to get enough sleep.
I start work early every morning at around 7 AM, so I need to wake up before 6 AM. Because of the late-night noise, I've been feeling tired and having trouble concentrating during work.
I completely understand that you want to spend time with your friends, and I don't want to stop you from enjoying yourself. However, would it be possible to keep the gatherings a little quieter after 10 PM? Another option could be meeting your friends earlier in the evening or going to a nearby café or someone else's place occasionally.
I think this would help both of us feel comfortable in the apartment. Thank you for listening and understanding my situation. I really appreciate your cooperation, and I'm sure we can find a solution that works for both of us.
Why This Answer Scores High
Polite introduction.
Clear explanation.
Personal reason.
Multiple solutions.
Positive ending.
Natural vocabulary.
Common Mistakes Students Make
Being Too Angry
Don't sound rude.
Avoid:
You never care about anyone.
Speaking Without Structure
Jumping between ideas confuses the listener.
No Solution
Always suggest one or two solutions.
Ending Suddenly
Never stop without closing politely.
Practice Question
Practice this question using the structure above.
Your neighbour parks their car in your parking spot every weekend. It causes inconvenience because you return home late from work. Speak to your neighbour and explain the problem while suggesting a solution.
Practice Checklist
Include:
Greeting.
Explain what happens.
Say how it affects you.
Suggest two solutions.
End politely.
Record yourself and try to finish within 90 seconds.
How to Practice This CELPIP Speaking Task at Home
Read the situation once.
Spend exactly 30 seconds making four notes.
Speak for 90 seconds without reading.
Listen to your recording.
Improve grammar and pronunciation.
Practicing daily with different situations builds confidence for the actual CELPIP exam.
Best CELPIP Books in Canada
If you're looking for the best CELPIP preparation books in Canada, these books are designed specifically for Canadian test-takers preparing for permanent residency, work permits, and citizenship.
1. Complete CELPIP Study Guide (Listening, Reading, Writing & Speaking)
This complete preparation book covers:
Listening strategies.
Reading practice tests.
Writing task samples.
Speaking task templates.
Vocabulary.
Grammar tips.
Full-length practice tests.
Buy on Amazon Canada: https://a.co/d/010xTnrS
2. CELPIP Reading Practice Book
Perfect for improving Reading scores with multiple practice tests and detailed explanations.
Buy on Amazon Canada: https://a.co/d/08BD96wi
3. CELPIP Writing Task Guide
Includes Task 1 and Task 2 strategies, sample responses, vocabulary, and practice exercises.
Buy on Amazon Canada: https://a.co/d/0eazNwsw
4. CELPIP Speaking Guide Canada
A complete speaking guide featuring:
All speaking task types.
Sample answers.
Vocabulary.
Fluency strategies.
Practice questions.
Pronunciation tips.
Buy on Amazon Canada: https://a.co/d/0hYzHEZ4
These books are among the most useful CELPIP books available on Amazon.ca for students preparing in Canada.
Related CELPIP Blogs You Should Read
Continue your CELPIP preparation with these detailed guides:
CELPIP Listening Tips 2026
https://ieltstreasure.blogspot.com/2026/07/celpip-listening-tips-2026-master-part.html
Learn strategies for every listening part with examples and practice tips.
Complete CELPIP Speaking Test Guide Canada
https://ieltstreasure.blogspot.com/2026/02/celpip-speaking-test-guide-canada_25.html
Covers every speaking task, templates, timing, vocabulary, and scoring strategies.
CELPIP Writing Task 2 Guide Canada
https://ieltstreasure.blogspot.com/2026/02/celpip-writing-task-2-guide-canada.html
Master opinion writing, structure, vocabulary, and high-scoring sample responses.
Final Thoughts
CELPIP Speaking: Dealing with a Difficult Situation is a task that rewards clear organization and polite communication rather than complicated English. Remember the simple formula:
Start politely.
Explain the problem clearly.
Express your feelings.
Offer practical solutions.
End positively.
Practice different real-life Canadian situations every day, and you'll become more confident speaking naturally during the CELPIP exam.
If you're preparing for CELPIP in Canada, using dedicated practice materials along with regular speaking practice can significantly improve your performance and help you achieve CELPIP Level 9 or higher for Canadian permanent residency or citizenship applications.




Comments
Post a Comment